Open5GCore – The Next Mobile Core Network Testbed Platform
Open5GCore represents a complete reset of the packet core related activities addressing in a more pragmatic way the needs of 5G testbeds for FOKUS and for partner activities. Open5GCore Rel. 3 is based on a new accelerated software platform including:
- Fundamental 5G/4G core network components enabling the interconnection with standard LTE eNBs, off-the-shelf smartphone and upcoming 5G base stations and devices
- NB-IoT extension of the packet core addressing the massive IoT use case requirements
- IMS support addressing the basic multimedia services for mobile broadband support use cases
- Benchmarking support – providing means for quantitative evaluations based on synthetic workload generation and trace injection
- WLAN support – integrating the functionality of trusted non-3GPP access networks
- Elasticity – support for dynamic control plane deployments and workload steering
- LTE/5G signaling – enabling the research of time sensitive radio communication at RLC level
Open5GCore integrates with standard LTE/LTE-A/NB-IoT LTE base stations (a spectrum license is required) and WLAN enabling real network deployments within testbeds.
Open5GCore is highly customizable enabling the deployment of instances addressing the needs of the specific use cases. The source code license option extends the offer with ultimate flexibility for easy customization and prototype developments.
For end-to-end use cases, Open5GCore integrates with Open5GMTC for massive IoT use cases, the OpenSDNCore for backhaul management, OpenBaton for cloud deployments and Kamailio IMS for massive broadband use cases.